Pages

Friday, April 4, 2014

Friday Forum: Already Gone

While hubby was going through school, 
the book Already Gone by Ken Ham was becoming popular.
The premise of the book is that children of believers are leaving the church in large numbers.
Mr. Ham suggested that it happened because they are not taught the basis of their faith - 
which to him is Creationism.

This past week, through the Internet,
I came across web pages of children who used to be like family to me.
We went to church together.
I spent time in their home almost daily and for holidays and birthdays.
I helped with their schooling.
I was blown away by where they are now.
What happened?
I also heard of a former Sunday School student following similar wrong paths.

We were also studying in I Samuel about Eli and his sons
and then further on about the evil sons of Samuel.
The Bible says that Eli honored his sons above God.
I have not seen an explanation for the failings of Samuel's sons.

I guess there are theories all around.
I think that many people see the rigors and demands of the ministry as the catalyst 
that sends children in Christian homes away.
Sometimes I believe parents follow Eli's course and honor their children above God.
 I also lean toward the idea that hypocrisy in "busy" ministry homes drives children away.
Mom and dad are one thing at home and another thing in church.
Image outside of the home is everything.

What do you think?
Why are children/young people turning away 
from the faith that they have been taught?

No comments:

Post a Comment