Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

After the Workout

We are back in the swing of things.
Waking up early.
Working out hard.
Going to bed at a decent hour.
How quickly we broke some of our healthy habits.

I have been reading some health books
which have recommended boosting my weight training
to boost my metabolism.
Along with the increased weights came a recommendation for protein shakes.

I am not much for powdered drinks,
so we started experimented with something more natural.
It all started with a recipe on hubby's dark chocolate almond milk
and progressed from there.
I figure that it has about 15 grams of protein and 300 calories!

Protein After Workout Recovery Shake

1 cup milk (I use unsweetened coconut almond, hubby uses dark chocolate almond)
1 package gelatin
1 frozen banana
2 Tbsp natural peanut butter
1 Tbsp cocoa (I omit this)

Blend in blender until banana is smooth.

We have found this a very satisfying and filling breakfast alone,
or we add an egg or a piece of toast if the day looks busy.
We may try adding dried oats if we need or want a little something more as well.
You could also add avocado to the chocolate one for creaminess and healthy fats 
or add coconut oil to vanilla or chocolate shake. (of course this will increase your calories)

The meal plan for this week looks a little funny,
because hubby gives me a break in the kitchen for my b'day present.

Monday: El Alcapulco - Tacos de Carnitas (Pork Tacos)
Tuesday: Chipotle (Chicken Bowl)
Wednesday: Golden Corral
Thursday: Hot Dogs and Potato Salad
Friday: Chicken and Quinoa Chili

No comments:

Post a Comment