Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Give It A Try!

I would not consider myself a gutsy cook -
or even an adventurous cook ...
but sometimes the mood hits.

I had my recipes for the week planned 
and then ...
yeah, the bothersome food allergies ...
turkey pot pie was out.

What could I replace it with?

How about one of hubby's favorites ... Zuppa Toscana,
You know it from the O.G.
But it is high in dairy ... won't work.
And we are trying to tone it down on the potatoes.

Oh I love the internet.
Enter ... the new Zuppa Toscana.
My 5 guests and I tried turnips for the first time
and hubby declared it better than the original 
(of course anything that does not end in a stomach ache and heartburn is an improvement).
And I found out after 12 years of marriage that turnips are one of my husband's favorites.

And turnips - 
high in vitamin C
high in fiber
low carbs (no sugar spikes).


Zuppa Toscana

1 med. onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground Italian Sausage
1 tsp. red pepper flakes
8 c chicken stock
4 medium turnips (1 lb) - peeled and chopped
1 c almond milk (unsweetened)
4 c kale - stems removed (I halved this)
sea salt and ground pepper to taste

Brown sausage with garlic and onion.
Drain if necessary.
Add stock and turnips.  Bring to boil then simmer 10 min.
Add milk and kale - simmer 5 minutes.
Season as desired and serve.

This week's menu:

Sunday: Herbed Hamburgers on the Grill
Monday:  Zuppa Toscana
Tuesday:  Leftover Zuppa Toscana
Wednesday:  Tilapia
Thursday:  Pizza / More leftover soup
Friday:  Pigs in a Blanket / Ham Steak
Saturday:  Chicken Salad / Sausage Risotto

No comments:

Post a Comment