Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

If At First You Don't Succeed ...

There are sometimes that my job is frustrating.
I want to be a GREAT homemaker.
I want to keep my family healthy.
I want to make not just healthy food, but tasty food.
Sometimes recipes just don't work out as planned.

I have mentioned that we follow a written diet.
Sometimes we follow it to a "T."
Sometimes we use the ingredients and discover great tastes.
One meal we have been struggling with is quinoa for breakfast.
Every time I cooked it, it was just bitter and hard to get down.
The best way was to throw it raw into our smoothies but even that was not the most pleasant.
About once a month, I try a new cooked quinoa breakfast porridge.
This morning was the morning.
I approached it with fear and trepidation...
but ...
SUCCESS!

Coconut Milk Breakfast Quinoa

1/2 c quinoa
3/4 c canned coconut milk
2 tsp. vanilla
cinnamon to taste

Combine quinoa, coconut milk, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork.

We served ours with banana slices.
We could have added nuts, granola, or another fruit as well. 

Quinoa is a complete protein and is full of nutrients, high in fiber,
high in protein, high in magnesium.
Glad to finally find a way to eat it for breakfast.

3 comments:

  1. I don't think mine turned out :-) The milk absorbed very quickly and the quinoa started seizing up! I added more milk, but even at the end of the 15 min. I had crunchy quinoa. I think it would have tasted all right if it hadn't gotten to be like sludge. Do you soak your quinoa first? I'm just trying to think of why mine didn't work. -Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not soak the quinoa first. I was worried about not being wet enough, but trusted the recipe. (Usually quinoa calls for double the liquid and same cooking time).
      I used full fat canned coconut milk which was hard to measure (more like thick whipped cream). The recipe called for light coconut milk. Did you use canned? Did you simmer covered? Mine might have taken a little less than 15 minutes, because I was worried that there would be too little moisture. It is not as soft as typical quinoa (because of less moisture, but mine didn't burn either. Non stick pot?
      Sorry it was not a great soution (at least the first time) for you.

      Delete
  2. I did use canned. It didn't say if it was full fat, but it was chunky. I'll have to try it again and see if I can do it better.

    ReplyDelete